Sphinx - documentation system
Sphinx satisfies a need for good documentation, with tables of contents, indices, and multiple output formats.
Summary of your evaluation
Wikipedia describes Sphinx as
"a documentation generator written and used by the Python community. It is written in Python, and also used in other environments"
It produces beautiful paginated web sites and PDFs. It also produces output in EPUB format and a few others formats as well, though I've only generated HTML and PDF.
Pros and cons
- open source
- written in Python (yay! Python!
- easy to install
- beautiful output right out of the gate, with no tweaking!
- multiple "themes" offered to customize the styling of the output
- automatic table of contents, index, and search engine generation
- a learning curve, both with reStructuredText (reST) and the application itself -- though I didn't consider it to be terribly steep.
- some limitations, for example multi-column output, require tweaking
- tweaking the generated PDF requires knowledge of LaTeX
- tweaking the generated HTML requires an understanding of CSS