Flat permissions across the platform for group members
Please help us improve our platform. Assume the reader knows very little about your situation when describing the feature, as our participants create many types of open projects: libraries, software, hardware, etc. A thorough explanation will help the people reviewing your request understand your perspective. Try to include answers to the following questions, as appropriate.
- What problem are you trying to solve for the community?
Making it straightforward for sub-group members to manage their own tools, such as anyone being able to open a meeting room, start a repo, file or move an issue, etc. once they are part of the sub-group. This membership is equivalent to being in the maintainers group in GitLab, in concept.
This also brings us inline with best practices in open source communities.
- Why do you feel this is important for the community?
Helps sub-groups be more efficient and effective with being able to perform their own self-service and asset management.
- What are the consequences of not implementing this feature?
Making it more difficult for sub-groups and others to get their work done by holding up unnecessary barriers to participation and contribution.
- Are you aware of any existing solutions that currently provide this functionality?
You may want to consider setting up an OpenID provider e.g. id.saopen.ieee.org tied to a central auth platform, then configure all the programs to use OpenID. This has the benefit of letting people joining the community use OpenID to create their SA OPEN presence.
- What kind of tests/metrics would tell us we were successful?
Having sub-groups test their ability to ge things done without being the Chair of the group.
- Is there anything else you would like us to know about your request?
Add other items you might have: sample code or user-interface mockups are always appreciated.